March 12, 2011

Skiing

Last night I went skiing with the kids, and Mom. This winter, Keith has learned to snowboard and he absolutely loves it! His Youth Group Leader has been taking him to the Mountain and teaching him how. (Thank You Ryan) They were having a ski free night at Mt. Spokane if you brought three canned foods with you, so I thought it would be a great night to teach Kelly to ski.

When I was a kid I LOVED to ski. I learned when I was two years old. In High School I rode the ski bus up to the mountain every Saturday for lessons and a day of skiing. But I haven't been skiing in the last nine years. When I was having trouble with my ankle that was one thing I wasn't able to do.

It felt SO good to get back on those skis last night! Kelly was amazing. By the second run she had it down, and I couldn't believe how well Keith did. He looks like he's been boarding for years.

I love how peaceful the Mountain is. All covered in snow and quiet and still. I used to spend a lot of time in the Cascade Mountains growing up in the winter and the summer. If I had to chose between going to the ocean or the mountains. The mountains always won out.

I look forward to skiing a few more times next season. I'm going to have to buy Kelly a pair of skis next year because I doubt she's going to let me go without her. And I might get some new snow gear for myself seeing as I had to wear the cloths I wore back in 1994. :)

It's a great thing to do with my kiddos and I hope they have as many wonderful memories as I do from skiing when they grow up.

No comments: